Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Nevermind that last post!

Hmm, well, I spoke too soon, I guess. :( I told my supervisor, who I really liked and got along well with, that I wanted to know the possibility of working around my school schedule at the end of my second day. I was candid with her, and that might have my problem (but that's who I am), but when I left, there was no inkling that I would be hearing a few hours later that I was terminated.

This was very premature and an unfair decision on their part. I can understand that they wanted to do what's best for the company, but I made it clear that I was serious about this job and that, if I had to, would work around their schedule. I just wanted to let them know as soon as possible about this possible issue, and if they were going to be lenient about it. She clearly said that they could deviate from the set work hours, so I said I would handle it on my end.

I really enjoyed the job and the people I worked with, and I would have continued on there for the foreseeable future. It was challenging, it was a learning experience and the stress level and workload was just right: not too busy to feel like I couldn't handle it, and not too little to get bored. I pretty much jumped right in, and did a great job. My supervisor said she was sorry and that it wasn't her decision, but she really enjoyed working with me. I hope that in the future that there could still be a job there for me. For now, I'm going to find something a little more flexible and possibly short-term. I'm seriously considering taking a break and visiting my mother and helping her out on her farm in eastern Ohio. I'd love to visit my sister in Alaska, or my cousins in South Carolina, too.

No comments: