Saturday, July 01, 2006

Superman Returns IMAX

Well, after talking about it with my friend, Randall, we went down to Springdale, Ohio to see Supermans Returns in IMAX 3D. We couldn't buy the tickets online and we had to go down to get the tickets before they sold out, so soon after we got off work, we left from my house and headed down there. I grabbed some Johnsonville brats on the way out the door.

There was some traffic on the way down; being that it was the start of the 4th of July weekend, it was expected. The route was pretty straightforward and I had no problem finding the way. We got there around 7:45 (or 2 hours before the movie started) and there wasn't many seats left (they were reserved seating) and we took 2 seats in the back row. While we waited, we had some drinks in the bar, including some cool movie-themed house creations (like the Kryptonite which changed colors and make a big splash).

Also, in the bar were an older couple who were big Superman fans (both of them had t-shirts with the big "S" on them). They enjoyed the Kryptonite and watching Randy and I drink them (in a friendly race).

Once it was around 30 minutes to the movie start, we took our seats. We received our 3D glasses and waited. Once the trailers came on, we slipped our glasses on and marvelled at the convincing 3D effects. There were only scenes of the movie that were in 3D, but when it came on, there was a small icon on the screen letting us know when to put them on or take them off. The effects were very cool and some of the actions scenes were pretty intense. When there was an object in the foreground that wasn't clipping off the edge of the frame, it appeared to float over the audience in front of me. Now, this wasn't some cheesy red and blue glasses, these involved 2 projectors showing offset pictures and the glasses were polarized to allow only the left and right eye to see one picture for each eye. Aside from the limited 3D, the movie itself was very good, especially the flying scenes.

What was unexpected (and awefully annoying) was the wife of the older man that sat next to Randall and I in the bar earlier, had sat down right in front of us in the theater. She was extremely emotional during the movie, clapping and shouting loudly (like a little child) when Superman saved the day. What was even stranger was when Superman was being pummelled with Kryptonite shards, she was weeping with full-on tears and crying like she had lost her son! Either she was a big fan, or had emotional problems. Either way, it was pretty funny how much she was over-reacting to a work of fiction (besides, Superman NEVER dies in movies!). I couldn't help but laugh to myself as well as others around us.

On the way home, I kept my speed close to the legal limit, wary of the many cops out on the proul. There were many cars passing me on either side, but when I passed a cop in the middle facing my direction of traffic, he decided to follow me. I had my cruise control set to around 70, and I knew he wouldn't pull me over, so I decided not to freak out and brake (like the minivan that was in the fast lane, but was going slower than me anyway). At first the cop hung back waiting to see if I would go faster, but after a while, I think he realized that I had cruise on and he flew up right behind me (most likely to study my control of the car and make sure I wasn't swerving). He got off the interstate after a while watching me like a hawk and not finding anything to pull me over for.

There were MANY more people deserving of being pulled over, either for going much faster than me or being blatantly drunk and dangerously reckless. Case in point: a white (or cream) late-model lumina or monte carlo that sped past me on the right veering into my lane and just barely correcting himself. Then, he veering over to the fast lane almost slamming into the car in front of me and the car already in the fast lane. That scared the crap outta me and I kept an eye on him as he raced and swerved all over the place, tailing a semi for a while, then passing him and almost pulling into the cab of the truck. He was reckless through downtown Dayton and I had Randall call 9-1-1 to alert the law of this dangerous individual. We lost him after a while, but Randy seemed to have spotted him at a gas station for the exit I took to take him home.

Before that car, there also a yellow Honda CRX "boy racer" literally racing on the highway and was being following by, what I almost know, was an un-marked policecar. All in all, a pretty exciting night.

Now, I'm off to the Cleveland area of Ohio to visit some of Dan's friends and then visit with family and be gone all weekend for the holiday, being back in time for work on Wednesday.

Later.

No comments: